« Home | Will & Grace - Season 1 » | Get in on this Offer! » | Holiday Weekend – Love & Dislike (Nothing to Hate ... » | It's Not Too Late » | Happy 4th of July!!! » | The Only Prescription is More Cowbell! » | Hostas » | Cleaning Out the Pantry - An Attempt to Organize » | Never enough time » | Butterscotch Cashew Scotchies »

Mid-Summer Vacation

I know that most normal people plan their getaway around the 4th of July, but not us. We planned ours around a Steely Dan and Michael McDonald concert in Tinley Park. Friday we headed out with Chip and Kim (Chad’s brother and his wife) to Chicago. It was about an 8 hour drive as we hit rush hour just outside of Chicago, and we were staying downtown just off Michigan Avenue. Friday night we got to the hotel made arrangements to have dinner with my aunt Marilyn and then headed to the bar in our restaurant for drinks. Marilyn arrived shortly after had a drink with us and then we went to dinner at Phil Stefani’s. We had a very nice dinner. After which Marilyn hopped in a cab to go home and we hopped in a cab and headed to Wrigleyville for some late night action. It was a very late night for me, being a total morning person, but Chad, Chip, and Kim enjoyed the bars and dancing.

Saturday morning we were up early enough (around 8) by about 9:30 or 10, we headed out for a quick bite to eat at Dunkin’ Donuts. We then headed out to do some shopping on Michigan Avenue. Karin and Gabe met us out, and we perused the Magnificent Mile Art Festival for a little bit and then headed down to the Taste of Chicago. We walked through Millenium Park on our way, and got to see “the bean” which was really cool, especially from underneath.
Once at the taste, we got several “tastes” in (my favorite being chocolate chip cheesecake) before heading back to the hotel for a quick nap before cleaning up and heading out to Tinley Park.

The concert was at an outdoor ampitheatre and a really nice facility, although Chad is apparently an outdoor theater snob and kept saying it was “Bottom 5”. It did not stop him from dancing and having a good time. The lady next to Kim told her that he was very entertaining and everyone was watching him. I’d post pictures, but I was told I was not allowed to share those. Not even with Chip and Kim who were there. Michael McDonald was great. And Steely Dan would have been more fun if I knew who they were… but Chad, Chip, and Kim loved it. I did recognize many songs, but when you’re somewhat unfamiliar and the music is loud it’s sometimes hard to understand the lyrics. I definitely would need to brush up on my Steely Dan if we would go see them again.

Sunday morning we headed back very early. Our trip home was much quicker as Chad was driving and made us combine all our stops. When we stopped for a bathroom break, we were also required to eat and fill up with gas even if we had over a half of a tank.

I took Monday off too, as when I requested time off I didn’t know how long the weekend would extend, and figured I would be able to enjoy the time off if I was just at home. And I did! I slept in (8:30 is sleeping in for me). And then spent some time catching up on emails and blogs (although not updating, just reading). I then talked to Steph for about an hour on the phone, then texted Jodi to make lunch plans. After lunch with Jodi, I met Lisa for coffee at Caribou downtown. I then headed over to the Marshall Field’s warehouse to pick up our new coffee table finally, before heading home (unfortunately in rush hour traffic). Last night I spent putting the coffee table together (unassembled is the only way it fit in the Corolla), and then watching several episodes from Season 2 of Will & Grace on DVD.

Today I made it to the YMCA this morning and then it was another day back at work, but I know that if I hadn’t had yesterday off, I would not be a happy camper right now. I’m figuring out that since I don’t have as many friends at my new job, it’s really hard when Chad is traveling for work, because I have such little social contact each day. That was seldom an issue when I worked at Oracle/Retek. At least now that I’m aware of it, I can make more of an effort to make plans and force myself out on people!

Tonight, I am going to do some “light” cleaning and relax a little. Try to get to bed early, so I can get up and hit the YMCA before work again tomorrow.