« Home | Happy Birthday Anne! » | Project #2 Finished! » | Fountain Diet Coke - I Knew I Wasn't Crazy!! » | Small World » | Sewing Project #2 » | All Is Not Lost » | The Mermaid Chair » | Polynesian Pineapple Chicken » | "Limp Brisket" Chili » | Home Again!!! »

Mexican Casserole

I tried this yummy recipe last week! It was very good, even though it did get a little over done in my crockpot. It says cook for 8-9 hours, so I don't know if that was wrong or if it was because I used a crockpot that was a little bigger than it needed to be. It was still good, and very easy, I'll just have to limit it to being a weekend meal so it doesn't get overdone...

Mexican Casserole
From Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly

1 lb. extra-lean ground beef (I used ground chicken)
1 medium-sized onion, chopped (I used 1 cup frozen chopped onion)
1 small green bell pepper, chopped
16-oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
8 ox can tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1 tbsp chili power
1 1/3 cups instant rice, uncooked
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese

1. Brown ground beef and onion in nonstick skillet
2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker except rice and cheese.
3. Cook on low 8-9 hours.
4. Stir in rice, cover, and cook until tender.
5. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted. Serve.