« Home | My Google » | Last Night at the Hampton Inn » | Day #3 --- A Long One » | Can You Read This? » | Week #1, Day #2 » | Traveling - Day 1 » | Superbowl Sunday » | Short Weekend » | Happy Belated Birthdays! » | Quick Check In »

Classic Chicken Panini

Back to cooking. As I was gone all week, and then we had a holiday party on Friday and lunch with Chad's parents yesterday, I've been out of the kitchen. Last night I made a homemade pizza, as we haven't had pizza since December. I made a "light" pizza. I made low sodium pizza sauce, added sliced tomatoes, green peppers, and turkey pepperoni.. plus kept it light on the cheese. It was really good!

Today I made these sandwiches for lunch. They were very good at around 7 points each. And they were easy. I used my George Foreman grill, but I think you could make them in a grill or frying pan too. Possibly even broil them open faced and then put them together. I have a small George Foreman, and put 2 on at the same time. It probably would have been easier to make one at a time. I just put the rest of the ingredients away, so Chad could make himself the leftovers while I'm gone this week.

Classic Chicken Panini
from Betty Crocker Simple Healthy Recipes (magazine found at the checkout aisle)

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 oz each)
1/2 tsp salt-free seasoning blend (aka Mrs. Dash)
1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise or salad dressing
2 tsp white or flavored vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
4 whole wheat English muffins, split
4 slices (3/4 oz each) mozzarella
4 thin slices of red onion
1 plum (Roma) tomato, cut into 8 slices

1. Heat closed medium-size contact grill for 5 minutes. Sprinkle chicken with seasoning blend. Place chicken on grill. Close grill; cook 4-5 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut.

2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, vinegar and garlic powder. Spread on English muffin halves. Place chicken on bottoms of English muffins. Top with cheese, onion, tomato and tops of muffins.

3. Place sandwiches on grill. Close grill, pressing to flatten sandwiches; cook 2-3 minutes or until sandwiches are toasted.