« Home | Serial Killer or Computer Geek? » | Books I've read in 2006 » | Girls' Night In » | Reading in the New Year » | Darling Clementine » | Stacy's Chocolate Chip Cake » | Rich Strawberry Frozen Yogurt » | Happy Birthday Melanie!! » | Cinnamony Apple Snack » | 2006 Recipes »

Sloppy Jim's

In our attempt to eat better this year and trying to cut back on sodium and eating more vegetables (and unprocessed foods), I tried this recipe last night. I did break in and add some more ingredients to make it look and taste more like my traditional sloppy joes. It was good, but I don't think it came close to my regular recipe! So here is the recipe I started with, and then the recipe I made! :)

Sloppy Jim's, the Original recipe

1 lb ground turkey
3 tbsp onion flakes
1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 small tomatoes, pureed in blender
few dashes of Tobasco Sauce
few dashes of Oregano
few dashes of ground red pepper (optional)

Brown ground turkey. Add onion flakes, mushrooms, tomato puree, Tobasco sauce, oregano, and ground red pepper.

Cook over low heat until mushrooms are tender. Serve over bread.

Sloppy Jim's, with my enhancements

1 lb ground beef
2 green onions, chopped (including stems)
1/2 green pepper chopped
4 small (Roma) tomatoes, pureed in blender

1 tsp brown sugar (I used Splenda brown sugar)
1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce without Salt
few dashes of each of the following to taste:

Tobasco sauce, oregano, ground red pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, lite salt, ground black pepper, and worchestshire sauce.

Brown ground turkey. Add peppers, tomato puree, tomato sauce, brown sugar, and seasonings.

Cook over low heat until green peppers and tomatoes are tender. Serve over bun.