« Home | The Week got away on Sunday » | Wet Carpet » | MNF » | MNF 2nd Half: To Watch or Not To Watch » | Freezer Cooking » | Busy Week » | Week 3 Power Rankings... » | Surviving the 2005 Football Season » | Subway » | Baked Sauerkraut & Chops »

Mexican Lasagna

It's a keeper. At least according to Chad. This recipe was excellent! I got a free cookbook from Herberger's a long time ago. It is reminiscent of a good Minnesota cookbook, with recipes submitted by "us average folk". I gave it away when we moved, but I copied a few interesting recipes from it, including this one which was submitted by Sharon Johnson of Albert Lea, MN.

I used ground turkey instead of beef and added 1 tsp cumin, onions, garlic, and beef broth flavor when I was browning it in addition to the other spices. Next time I will probably fry some green peppers in with it too. I also added some more salsa and water, as it didn't cover the top layer with the amount specified, and I omitted the black olives, as neither of us love them. I also used light sour cream and reduced fat cheese. Next time I will look harder for whole wheat noodles. Cub didn't carry them. Maybe Byerly's... anyone know where I can find them?

Mexican Lasagna
From Herberger’s cookbook (Sharon Johnson, Albert Lea, MN)

1 # hamburger
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 can refried beans
12 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 (16 oz) jar salsa or picante sauce
2 ½ cup water
1 (16 oz) sour cream
2 cup shredded cheese
Sliced black olives
Lettuce

Brown hamburger with spices, add refried beans. In greased 9”x13” pan, place 4 uncooked noodles and half of meat mixture. Next add 4 more noodles and remaining meat mixture. Cover with 4 more noodles. Mix water with salsa. Pour over layers of noodles and meat. Cover lightly with foil and bake 1 ½ hours at 350 or until noodles are done. Layer with sour cream, cheese, and black olives. Return to oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese melts. Serve on lettuce.

Hey Jane! I LOVE wheat noodles and buy them all the time. I get them at Cub or Super Target...in with all of the other noodles. Sounds like a yummy recipe...think I'll have to try it. We had fun with you guys on Sat!

Oh...didn't see that it was lasagna noodles...haven't seen those in wheat...sorry! (I try to be so darn helpful!)

Post a Comment